View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 2, 2022, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
... but you couldn't say that the average Canadian could move to Arkansas and easily blend in with no lifestyle change required, and I don't think it's a given that language trumps all and Toronto is culturally more akin to any southern US town than Montreal.
More or less. Someone from downtown St. Petersburg would more easily blend in / adapt in rural Siberia than in downtown Stockholm, and someone from Tokyo would more easily blend in /adapt in a remote Japanese fishing village than in Seoul, and it would be 100% due to linguistic considerations.

I recall when reading some American tourist guide about Europe and was surprised that it said Britain was "often thought of as less exotic", and I realized that up to that point it had always seemed obvious that France was the not-exotic European country, I had just never stopped to consider why.

A place operating in a foreign language vs a place operating in your language, that's not just a minor factor. It makes a HUGE difference.

The average unilingual Anglo would feel more at home anywhere in Arkansas than in a fully francophone area of rural Quebec. Literally nothing feels LESS like home than having everyone speak, and all written stuff written, in a language you don't understand.