View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I agree with this. The police do not exist to prevent crime, and they are not able to. Criminals are not rational and deterrence is a myth. Perception is more important than reality for the law abiding.

My partner was a youth lawyer for decades and defended many murderers. Rehabilitation happens more often than not and most major youth criminals need to be parented and not disciplined by the government. Prevention will come from years of investment in CFS and addiction courts. Whenever I read a a horrible news story I tell myself that lesson that NHL refs keep pushing: retaliation is worse than the original crime, vengeance isn't justice.
So, these murderers got arrested, obviously, and had stand before a judge in a court of law (government) and presumably as a result of this experience... turned their lives around (at least some of them)? We can debate the sentencing process all day, but I see the government playing a key role here in sending a strong message to young offenders to turn their lives around... or else. But, you're saying no discipline from the government? Seems contradictory, but okay.