View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 7:36 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I get it. It will take time, building relations and lots of patience....but I truly believe SAT has MORE going for it than ABIA.

First off, SAT's proximity to attractions is much more desirable than ABIA. SAT has always had a sort of big city feel in terms of how you're basically flying into a dense hotel/entertainment/residential area off 410. It's almost primed to someday become a hub if it wanted. Austin does have lots of undeveloped land, but it is so goddamn ugly driving into the city from the airport... That takes time to build up.

I usually scoff at the "if you build it" mentality, but I really think we have the market for one euro route right off the bat to get things started.
I don't completely disagree with from where you are trying to come. However, SAT has far more encumbrances than AUS. The darn thing is landlocked and it's not going to be easy to extend at least one of the runways to 10,000 ft. Even that may be too short for trans-oceanic flights on a very hot summer day.

Additionally, the "if you build it" mentality can be good in some cases. Although, one is going to have to convince the FAA to approve said plan.

NOTE: both SAT and AUS are 7 miles from their respective downtowns (as the crow flies). SAT is 9 miles by road where AUS is 11 miles by road.