View Single Post
Old Posted May 22, 2020, 9:27 PM

I think these changes make a noticeable positive difference!

Unfortunately, increasing the glazing area not only increases the cost due to larger windows, but also makes it more difficult to comply with the 2017 National Energy Code for Buildings. Of course, the challenges with respect to complying with the energy code can be overcome by installing higher grade windows, more efficient HVAC systems, thermally decoupled balconies, and more insulation within the opaque wall areas but all of this would mean additional costs which I am sure Baydo is not interested in.

Also, a big reason why rental buildings like these have much less glazing compared to a condo building like River Landing is reduced life-cycle costs. Opaque wall areas can be much more thermally efficient and easier to maintain which saves building owners significant money over the lifespan of a structure. This isn't as big of an issue for condo developments like River Landing because once the developer sells all the units and turns the building over to the Condo Corp., the life-cycle costs are no longer their problem (unless if it was discovered that the developer did something negligent during the design and construction phase).

My prediction is that the condo fees at No.1 River Landing will increase significantly in the next 5-10 years due to costs related to heating and cooling the building as well as the planned replacement of seals within the window wall that must be accounted for in the reserve fund study.

More stringent future (and current) energy codes will mean future high rises in Saskatchewan will likely have less glazing and more opaque surfaces on their facades. I will be surprised if we ever see another "glass box" condo tower in this province.