View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
I don't know why but I've barely spent any time in KWC other than tubing at Chicopee, partying with some Laurier people, visiting Galt two years ago and just passing by or passing through on the way to somewhere else. I really should go drive and walk around KW to get the feel of the place.

So with that disclaimer out of the way, I am going to suggest Waterloo is indeed a suburb of Kitchener!

Okay, this is not serious talk, but as mentioned, Kitchener is the more historic of the two. And the area is known for a top ranking tech. school and a well known tech industry.

Blackberry and UW are in Waterloo. This follows the same model of San Fran/Oakland. Stanford and Cal outside of the big city of SF. The big tech companies also outside the city.

For Boston, Harvard and MIT are in Cambridge. Not sure where their tech companies are though.

Also, Kitchener clearly has a rougher downtown in terms of looks and people from what I understand. Like you'd find in a city vs. suburb situation.
I would not describe Kitchener as "more historic" (it was first settled, at most, a couple of years before Waterloo), it is just the larger of the two. Rather than "city-suburb", they more resemble neighbourhoods of the same city, with Downtown and Uptown as urban nodes. Nobody in Kitchener would think of themselves as going "out" to Waterloo, as one goes out to a suburb. Re high tech, larger firms tend to cluster in Waterloo, while start-ups seem more likely to locate in Kitchener in recent years. I suppose that Waterloo high tech could be said to have a more suburban aspect to it, as it tends to exist in low-rise campus-type settings.