View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 3:10 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
I more agree with you than the anti-scooter crowd. Especially for a place like SD with multiple tourist areas.

All they need is a little positive organization and compromise.

For instance.... we have used Bird scooters in Pacific Beach or PB as the locals call it, in Balboa Park, and in downtown along the waterfront.

We noticed on the waterfront that Bird had already created zones where you had to park the scooters. You could not disengage the scooters (and charges) until you parked in a designated zone. This eliminates the number one compliant. Complaint number two about people buzzing too fast around them. In other zones the scooter speeds are automatically throttled back to like 6mph and once you leave that zone the speed ramps up to normal.

We first rode them around UCLA in Westwood and the electric bikes are little used in comparison to the scooters. I do like the little mini-elec bikes though, those weren't bad.

i noticed the e-scooters were much more orderly held up in santa monica than the chaos just to the south that is venice. so it can be done. i think the problem is a matter of scale though. a major city is a more challenging to manage than a small suburb.

hopefully the handling of scooters will work itself out in time because its a good idea. maybe big cities should wait a bit and let the burbs take this on until more is learned?