View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:50 PM
There is always a way

I understand why the flight was dropped. But O&D flights from YWG to Europe must have enough volume during tourist high season to justify at least a few flights a week. The number one reason that we can't sustain the ONCE weekly flight is that it is inherently unusable and totally inflexible. Even if it were 3-4x weekly it would definitely coax more people to use the service. I would go out of my way to support that sort of flight if it were useful to whatever my itinerary was. But with only one flight per week, the public isn't going to be convinced that there is much use to it. So it really was just a token flight from the start. The real winners in all of this are the airports that have oriented themselves to be hubs in the system. Whoever lives in those places is just secondary. YYZ could be in a city a tenth of the size and yet get the same number of flights because they funnel so many passengers through it.

I know I know, the high population constitutes a big portion of business there, I just can't help but feel as though the model is designed to benefit the hub airports. I thought point to point flying was supposed to be the next big thing!
Federalist #10, James Madison