View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 6:40 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Tell you what, let's let Calgary try it first and report back to us how it goes.
Seen it here, disturbingly effective. In my years of growing up in Winnipeg? Rarely ever seen.

Try having a SWAT team BBQ in Portage Place, maybe parade the armored car up and down Graham or Main, use Polo as a place to run laps around maybe?

I mean, theres just no visible deterrents around Winnipeg to be honest. If there was more of a police presence around, versus WPS just showing up on the news with video clips of them pacing around outside Location X in military gear, there would be more of an actual deterrent to trying anything stupid.

The neighborhood watches popping up in Winnipeg lately might help a little bit, but realistically, what can they deter? Minus the B&E's, property crimes and sexual offenses, what can they deter without legal protection and/or powers?

Thus, enter the cops runnung around randomly in full tactical gear, and other displays of deterrence. It might actually help, even though it may give off the vibe of totalitarianism and all, it would probably work to be honest. Especially since the other methods to reduce crime haven't exactly worked.

Prime examples: increased employment opportunities, actual after-school program access, increased vocational training, anti-racist hiring laws... because if laws were existent and *enforced*, then nobody would have to tell stories anymore of how being Aboriginal has costed them opportunities of employment (and having to resort to non-legal income generation)... which I'm sure everyone on SSP is aware of, because somehow this discrimination is still very much rampant in Winnipeg, about to enter into the 2020s. Which is ridiculous.