View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 5:29 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Triple A ball will be here next season. Too big a market not to have a team.
Geez, "too big not to have one." Come on. That's not a solid argument. Did SA grow to become a "big market" overnight? The Mission's have been around since 1888 and yet, nobody has - until last year - even tried to bring them up from AA to AAA (at least in name).

Also, Wolff stadium has 6,500 fixed seats plus room for 3,000 more on the berm. I do not think they'll add 5,000 fixed seats (at least in the short term).

In 2016, Barrett Sports Group conducted a study for the city. They recommended 8,000-8,500 fixed seats with a total of 9,000-9,500 total capacity. That study also noted that the Missions had the lowest attendance in the Texas League from 2010/2011 to 2016.

It's been over a year since the initial announcement and we're nowhere near a stadium deal of any sort. Elmore Sports Group does not want to pay for it and the city will not either (and I don't blame them).

Look, I want this to happen. But, I'm worried if the owners and city cannot get a deal together, the team will go elsewhere. Let's remember, Elmore is a Southern California-based company. And even though they have owned the Missions for 30 years, they will go where they can get the best deal for their company.

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Sep 18, 2018 at 5:50 AM.