View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Windsor crossing is definitely more interesting. Has more to see on the approach and while crossing.

But now I'm a Sarnia crossing guy because I went to school in Windsor and I've seen enough. Actually lived in residence beside the Ambassador and was looking out my window when they shut it down for 9/11. A miles long convoy of idle big rigs.

Also, in 2007 four of us were coming back from a booze filled trip to Ann Arbor to watch UM play at the Big House. However, I was the DD so I had three beers between 2pm and midnight. The other guys just reeked of an assortment of beer and liquor. As soon as we got to the booth and rolled down the window, the border guy said I can see and smell that you guys were drinking (two guys in the back completely passed out). I said yup, but I've only had three Coors Lights in 10 hours. Then he says, very smugly," okay, next time, DON'T DRINK AT ALL. You can go now". Needless to say I felt like punching dude right in the face.

Never had a problem on the Blue Water. I did get pulled over by US Customs once because I was crossing by myself at midnight with a bunch of stuff in a rented car. I explained I was going to CO, UT, AZ and NM and meeting someone there and also stopping off at points on the way to see places I've never seen.

The US customs guy started talking to me about fishing after he saw my tackle and also noticed the pepper spray I kept with it. He rightfully assumed it was for coyotes or bears when fishing a river. He said he also brings protection when fishing streams in Northern Michigan. His gun! On a related note, this also happened in Lewiston when customs guy saw my tackle. He proceeded to show me pics on his phone of some monster smallmouth bass he caught on Erie a few days before.

The other customs guy then quizzed me about the four games I was going to attend while down there. Asking me who the QBs are for Colorado and their opponent Oregon, both of whom I correctly named! Though he probably didn't google it. Just wanted to hear me answer the question quickly.

So ya, also had more positive experience on Blue Water than Ambassador. And have never waited a long time there either, but that's also due to the times of the day or year I was arriving.
I recall coming back from a trip to a Detroit Lions game a few years ago, crossing at the Ambassador Bridge. I wasn't driving, but our third passenger had drunk himself into a temporary alcohol induced coma and was passed out in the back seat. The Canadian customs agent, took a look at us, and asked "Football game?" We replied "yup" and were permitted back through.

I also mix it up and take different routes back when on long drives. If traffic permits, I'll often take the 403/QEW back to Toronto from southwestern Ontario instead of the 401, and I'll typically take Hwy 7 at least one of the ways between the GTA and Ottawa/Montreal instead of just taking the 401 all the time.

Nice reference to the "Stig" in your video. The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime lives up to the legacy created by Top Gear.