View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Urbanism is about more than population density. I think that's the general point.

Example- Cincy has no real high density tracts, but the built form in the most urban neighborhoods is extremely high quality:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1096...7i13312!8i6656

It's not because they're Latino; it's indicative of high household sizes.

A random suburban street in Orange County, CA can have high density if a bunch of immigrants are stuffing into tract houses. Few would argue that suburban OC is more urban than Cincy because you have multiple generations in every tract house.
I get that, and it goes back to what someone's definition of "urbanism" is.

As Steely shows, Milwaukee has high-density, urban tracts. If those densely-populated urban tracts are not "urban" enough for someone's definition because they don't happen to be solely composed a certain architectural style and material, i.e., brick rowhouses or brick apartment buildings, then that's another matter and discussion altogether.

There is a big difference between fully suburban tracts that happen to be densely-populated because of high household size and variations in the urban form. The dense neighborhood's that Steely cites certainly are nothing like suburban (but densely-populated) Orange County, CA.

And, the point should just be made, the example from Cincy's Over-the-Rhine neighborhood is one from a tract that is immediately adjacent to Cincy's downtown... one can find densely-built, high-quality blocks adjacent to Milwaukee's downtown as well, closely resembling "mixed-used" neighborhoods in Chicago, as has been mentioned multiple times in this thread.

Whether or not Milwaukee's high density is based on "a mixture of minimal urban blight (e.g., very few vacant lots or abandoned buildings) and a high number of people per household." and on whether or not "other Midwestern besides Chicago and Milwaukee (have) experienced substantial Hispanic migration" does not somehow make them any less densely populated.