View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I'm preeettty sure college dorms aren't options for those not in college, and some that are.
People without college degrees aren't moving to these places in any appreciable numbers.

If you mean people who have now graduated from college, sure. Although I do think a fair number of these units are meant to attract rich undergrads/grad students, thus functioning as a private dorm. Still, these are people who really should be used to independent living by this point in their lives, with at least a few years out of Mom & Dad's house. Again, the basement dwellers aren't picking these places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Micro housing (typically without the extras) is hugely popular in my area. I'd have loved to live in one vs. having a roommate in my 20s.
I could have done a micro unit when I was in my early 20s, but I had no issue finding affordable places to live when I was that age. I lived in DC in 2003, and paid $525 per month for a studio in Capitol Hill for crissakes.

But all of the weird, dorm-like social functions are another thing entirely. As an introvert, those sort of forced social functions always skeeved me out. When I go home, I want to be alone, unless I'm bringing a date back. Socializing is for when you're outside in the city.