View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 10:00 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post

Another worry is Cineplex. Freddy is in desperate need for a new theatre; Cineplex hasn't put any money into the mall since forever; those screens are 20 years old and its showing. A few years ago, we had a glimpse of the leases of the big anchors in the mall (back when Cadillac Fairview was selling Regent) and Cineplex's lease expires/expired this year. I'm sure Cineplex is anxious to get into their own digs (but Empire's sale to Cineplex in the meantime has probably tossed the plans in disarray), but the mall probably likes having the theatre there to keep the Student crowd coming. I still believe the theatres will be moving at some point in the future, leaving another gap in the mall. Luckily the gap isn't all that big and should be relatively easy to fill in.
I worry a bit about the desire of Cineplex to upgrade facilities in Atlantic...the Dieppe theater was lucky enough to get a massive overhaul before Empire left but since then Cineplex hasn't done much out here in the east as far as I can tell. Heck it took them many months more than they planned just to put their brand on the buildings!

Are they just here to grab cash in the most cost effective way for the short term and then bail?? I doubt it, but until I see evidence to the contrary I'll be concerned.