View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 9:34 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Who thinks this is going to happen? From KXAN:

http://kxan.com/2016/09/19/new-trans...ster-industry/
Not me! Another PRT scheme, this time hanging under an elevated cable. Or did I get that wrong?
Six person cars are only more efficient if they actually carry 6 people. But just like all the other cars on our streets and highways, they won't.

It's time the citizens of Austin look at public transit systems that work, and not build what they dream about.

First, they need to look at building flyovers for the on and off ramps off their existing freeways. Most of the congestion occurs at the off ramps - where a line forms at the first red light because there are no flyovers for those wishing to turn left. A few strategically placed flyovers for left turners will help much more than most of the other proposals I've read. If not flyovers, how about redesign counter flow intersections where only left turners have to wait at a red light?

Second, they can start looking at how to move the masses using mass transit in to and out of downtown Austin. To do that they need to know where most of them are coming from. If from the suburbs, then build a transit system that reaches the suburbs. If not, then build it to where there are sufficient riders to use it. It's important to connect the dots where most commuters are coming from to where most are going to. Don't fall into the trap that most commuters wish to go downtown.