View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It'd be interesting to know how many of the stalls in there currently are rented monthly, and how many are daily. Because I've never had a problem finding a spot there when going in for a few hours, so if they can just rent them to residential people, they should be fine. They have no obligation to provide any parking to casual/hourly patrons (that I know of).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Isn't SkyCity building a 700 stall parkade, then building another parakde immediately north on the St. Regis site (which I have not heard anything about recently)? Methinks that is pletny-o-parking. I want another kick ass development to go on the Smith/Garry/Graham lot!
My understanding is that approvals in Winnipeg are normally conditional on a traffic plan for the building which includes a specific minimum number of parking units. Based on the original design of the 360 Main St project it is likely the current parking structure has some additional space beyond what is required. It is also possible due to being a pad site in an existing development the normal rules won't be as strictly applied. That said, it is possible they will look at the average usage of the existing parking to determine what the available capacity is and map that against the projected requirements of the new development. I would also guess that the tenants of 360 Main St want there to be a certain availability of short term (aka daily) parking for their clients, such as the law office, accountants, etc. You don't just meet their demand with monthly parking.

In terms of what SkyCity is building for parking, I think it is being done to heavily meet the needs and approvals of that specific project and not what a potentially competing project will need. I would also guess that if SkyCity has any excess parking available WPS will move quickly to secure long term monthly contracts for their staff.