View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonLA View Post
I saw something about someone saying something about L.A. in 2006; opinions about the city a decade ago and further are irrelevant.
I want to say the same thing. however, there's something about LA that makes it like the perennial black sheep of the family, the ugly sister to that sibling up north, the one with cable cars & a big bridge. that place, in comparison, has always inspired praise, whether deserved or not.

the comments made to the reporter for a newspaper in london sounded exactly like what ppl in places like nocal or maybe down in san diego have said about LA for a long time.....or what others have said for a longer time than imagined.....

Quote:
Despite the fact he found Los Angeles "an ugly city, hot and oppressive," Charlie Chaplin lived and worked here from late December, 1913, when he joined Mack Sennett's Keystone Co., to Sept. 6, 1952, when he left for England, later to be barredfrom returning to the United States by the federal government.

btw, that bldg at the corner of 8th & olive really is the epitome of a 'shitbox'. The only good thing about it has been the colori restaurant facing 8th st, but it's one of those parts of dt that have long made me wince when passing by.

I was hoping the owner was at least going to paint his bldg a better color, but if the barricades around the ground floor have been removed...& that orange stripe is about the only change that will be made.....no such luck.

I hope this is a sign that sales actually aren't so sluggish on broadway....

Quote:

apparelnews.net

Who would have thought a few years ago that so many European retailers would be seeking an outpost at the corner of Broadway and Ninth Street. But the location just keeps getting better and better even though the retail prices keep getting higher and higher.

The latest Euro retailer to sign a lease is Mykita, the Germany company that has only one other retail store in the United States, located, of course, in New York. But California will soon be in the mix. Other Mykita emporiums are in Paris, Vienna, Zurich, Zermatt, Berlin, Tokyo, Cartagena (Colombia) and Monterrey (Mexico).

Mykita is taking over the store recently vacated by Angelo Home, a cute furniture store on the ground floor of the Eastern Columbia building - that turquoise Art Deco structure that once was a department store and now a condo complex. Mykita's neighbors will be A.P.C. - the French retailer located on Ninth Street, and the Swedish retailer Acne Studios, also located on the ground floor of the Eastern Columbia building.