View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
'mystery' train(s)

Ok rail fans, I just came across this interesting photograph a few minutes ago on eBay.

INGLEWOOD STATION (no date)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLOR-PHOTOG...item43dd6f2841

-and the train on the right painted red. What a beauty!

I can't quite read the sign in the rear doorway of the double-decker car...it appears to say No-Level, then something written beneath it.

__

Thanks for the information on 111 W. 7th Street tovanger2 and HossC. -much appreciated.

Actually the placard reads "Hi-Level Chair Car". This is part of a trainset for Santa Fe's "El Capitan" all-coach service from Los Angeles to Chicago. This type of equipment made its debut (per Wikipedia) on July 15, 1956, so this obviously staged photo likely would date to about that time.

As for ATSF 1010's red paint job, a Google search brought me to a thread on Trainorders.com which suggested that it had been done for a GE TV commercial. I find that a little surprising, as color TVs were pretty rare then. Still, I didn't find any better info for you, ER, so that's at least a working hypothesis.

One anecdote about the 1010: it was one of the locomotives employed on Death Valley Scotty's famed record-breaking run from L.A. to Chicago in 1905. So this might've been why ATSF chose it to pose opposite the new El Capitan.