View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 16, 2014, 11:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Well, remember this piece from not that far back...Barnett will most certainly build tall, the only question is how tall? One57 tall or Nordstrom tall....

Quote:
http://deadline.com/2014/08/the-plot...oadway-825192/
The Plot Thickens: Will A ‘New’ Shubert Theater Tower Over Broadway?

by Jeremy Gerard
August 27, 2014

Since everyone is dousing everyone else these dog days with buckets of ice to raise money for ALS research, I offer a challenge of my own to The New York Post‘s Michael Riedel: Meet me at Bar Centrale the day after Labor Day 2019. If, five years from now, there’s a new, 1,500-seat Broadway theater around the corner on Eighth Avenue between 45th and 46th streets, you can douse me with a bucket of ice and I’ll write a $100 check to the Shubert Foundation. And if it’s a Shubert theater, I’ll make it $200.

If, however, there’s no theater in the luxury apartment tower Gary “One57″ Barnett’s Extell Corp is planning for that site, you have to write a check for $200 to my favorite charity, Greater Education, Rehabilitation And Recreation for Dropouts (you can just use the initials).

Shubert, as we know, owns valuable land and even more valuable air rights in the Theater District, and Broadway’s biggest landlord has been doing some heavy horse trading recently, exchanging oxygen for dollars and planning a takeover of a five-theater off-Broadway complex on 50th Street west of Eighth Avenue. But a new Broadway theater, at a cost of $150 million? Ehhhh, I don’t think so. Neither does the powerful Community Board 5, which controls building plans in the area and has received no paperwork for any such project at 740 Eighth Ave.

The site we’re talking about, which currently hosts a crafts market and a parking lot, originally was put together by real estate giant Related Companies, owned by Stephen Ross. But Barnett held the rights to a key chunk of the land where Related is building the Hudson Yards mixed-use development site that’s roughly the size of Rhode Island. So Related and Extell negotiated a land swap.

Now Barnett reputedly is planning another super-skyscraper along the lines of One57, the billionaires-only tower that casts a sunrise shadow from 57th and 7th to the Delaware Water Gap.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.