View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 9, 2014, 4:21 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Someone on here posted that the Province built 59, then turned it over to the City. So CoW is responsible for it now. Not like small town Manitoba, take Stonewall for example. The Province is responsible for the highways and PR's passing through town, including Main Street. Likely cause small towns have zero money to maintain anything major.
I find these 2 statements somewhat funny for a simple reason... I recently talked to a gentleman at the City named Georges Chartier, he's apparently the City's infrastructure planner and city economist and is responsible for the City's Asset Management program.

If you ask any economist (Georges included) they would say that a road is an asset for a City; they use it as collatorial to secure their debt. But I've always wondered how this is possible considering it isn't the asset that generates the revenue for the City, it's everything around the road that does this.

Why would a City take on "asset" of a provincial highway like 59? What benefit does it get? And does it offset the long-term repair liabilities?