View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 3:40 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The fact is that CPT from 90 to 59 has been deemed a strategic transportation corridor that is vital to the success of CentrePort. Council has already voted to fast track the construction giving it something like a 2016 completion target. The folks behind CentrePort has all three levels of government committed to their vision.

As for interchanges, I think the route 90/Sterling Lyon Parkway expansion is the clearest proof yet that new interchanges inside this city are an extinct species. As a city, and also a province, the deficit on basic road construction/maintenance is significant. The cost of interchanges is high for a very localized impact. Further, most Manitobans have come to accept that we don't have interchanges and freeways here. Just look at how long we have been waiting for the 59/Perimeter interchange to be built. All this means it is easy to spend the limited dollars building and fixing more km of roads than it is to start addressing the interchange issue.
That's a good point, but have we also accepted on not having interchanges in terms of safety? Lagimodiere/59 and North Perimeter is a bit infamous from a safety standpoint.

We'll continue to take it as it is, but that intersection/interchange hybrid can't be left as it is forever.

As for the city interchanges, you may be right on that, sadly.

Now, I'm not so sure.