View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Chuckaluck's picture above provides a nice segue between Carpenter's Sandwiches (far right) and the view down Wilshire that I've been looking at.

I know the tiled Texaco service station at New Hampshire and Wilshire has been on NLA several times before, but I think this close-up is new. The service station stood nearly opposite the I. Magnin store - for a wider shot of both, and a lot more history of this block, see GW's blogspot post on 3240 Wilshire Boulevard.

USC Digital Library

Here's a better view of the service station. Again, I know that similar pictures have been posted before, but I don't remember seeing this one with the Green T Cafe on the left. There's three zoomable pictures in the set (link below image).

USC Digital Library

Of course, this is the old Calpet station, but I did doubt that for a while because e-r's earlier picture makes it look like the wings sweep back.

I now realize that it's just an optical illusion/camera trickery, as can be seen in the picture below. The Calpet station was adorned with far less signage than the later Texaco.

California State Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
A fantastic postcard from the 1920s.

ebay
__

Judging from the neon tubing in the top photo, when the Texaco station displayed its fire chief helmet, things got even more colorful (or gaudy) than the color photo!

Last edited by BifRayRock; Dec 4, 2013 at 10:41 PM.