View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLantz View Post
braymondg,
I believe you left a comment on my blog a couple of years ago expressing the exact same concerns with Spencer Drive and signage on Capital Drive.

http://ward3brighton.ca/blog/2010/01/05/378

I still believe the City needs to make Spencer Drive a priority. I have discussed this with other councillors as recently as the past week. Unfortunately, the councillor for the area does not support extending Spencer straight thru to Mt. Edward.
However, since I wrote that blog post almost three years ago, the city has acquired ownership of the once privately owned road out the back of the Ch'town Mall. At one point, there had been discussions with RioCan (owners of mall) about the city purchasing a small strip of the malls parking lot at the east end so that the end of Spencer could be connected to the road at the back of the mall. The idea would be to fully upgrade Spencer and the old private road and connect them with two 90 degree turns. It's not my preferred solution, but something needs to be done.
With the recent discussion of Plaza Corp phase 2 this is becoming critical, that's why I brought the subject up again recently with councillors. I suggest you contact the city directly if you agree this is a priority.
The problem with the above is that these types of decisions should be made by City management and not City politicians. The fact that the ward councillor does not agree with the extension should be a non issue. The decision as to whether extension of Spencer is warranted should be made on sound engineering study and traffic volume/flow data.