View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 5:54 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
That would be nice if only Sobeys hadn't dropped the Urban Fresh concept a couple years ago.
They might be de-emphasizing it but there are still "Urban Fresh" locations on their website, e.g. http://www.sobeys.com/en/In-My-Store.../services.aspx

Anyway, it doesn't matter what it's called. Some sort of grocery store would work well in location 18. I wonder whether a combined Shoppers/Loblaws would work, once the Loblaw Cos. acquisition of Shoppers goes through. Loblaws is supposedly doing that deal to get better footholds in urban markets.

To me, the issue is that there aren't enough people in the Exchange to justify a store, so you have to combine it with another market. A location on Portage East combined with a parking garage would add office workers to the mix, and also be close enough to serve people in north St. Boniface. Plus you could add a nice family restaurant aimed at the ballpark and CMHR crowds. Another good point would be that a big carpark would allow something nice to be done with the old Codville site (17) instead of keeping it for ballpark parking.