View Single Post
Old Posted May 10, 2013, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
We must be looking at two completely different plans. The plan I'm looking at is street centered, uses structured parking instead of the acres of existing surface parking, is designed to be connected to the city and looks fairly dense to me - much much denser than the existing use and resembles a suburban campus (in the worse sense) plan in no way. They are proposing 4.5 Million SF - how much denser would you like them to go?

There are 5 CVCs that cut through the entire west and north side of the land - as a matter of fact, the ONLY area not impacted by the CVCs is the Erwin Center itself.

As for realignment of Red River - It would be a bad idea to make a jog there - that is one of the few streets that makes travel North to South in Central Austin tolerable.
Yeah, I saw the same maps with multiple CVC corridors. My question is exactly how high can they build within some of those corridors. The area to the south of the hospital is criss-crossed with CVCs. Right now there are mostly one or two story buildings or empty lots to the south of the hospital. I always assumed that taller buildings (maybe not really tall, but 8 to 10 stories?) could be built there. This may not be the case since these parcels sit up on a hillside overlooking the capitol complex. What the UT plan most resembles to me is the new campus for the UCLA Medical Center which is being built out adjacent to the existing medical center campus in Westwood/LA. I guess this is the style in medical complexes nowadays. I would love to see the existing hospital tract and the area to the south bulked up with a mega hospital. I'd like to see the medical school replace one or more of the massive state parking structures to the West of Waterloo Park. I'd like to see the green space at the edge of campus and adjacent to Waterloo Park remain more or less intact. I guess, in the end, UT doesn't give a hoot what I would like to see. Their current plan utilizes land they already control. They don't have to buy land, and they don't have to incur massive legal fees to obtain the right to acquire other nearby properties.

Last edited by austlar1; May 10, 2013 at 4:38 AM.