View Single Post
Old Posted May 9, 2013, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I agree with much of what you said in the above comments, and I encourage you to continue to voice your opinions here. I also hope that UT officials have their feet held to the fire with this development. If it has be located in this quadrant of the city, it needs to be sensitive to the fabric of the city and not just become an extension of the present UT campus. I hate to see one of the prettiest streetscapes in Austin sacrificed for a low rise office park medical complex. I agree that this project should go vertical to the maximum extent allowed, and I think that the present hospital campus and the area to the immediate south of the present hospital should be used to house the entire hospital part of the complex. There are several vacant parcels in that direction, and some underutilized parcels on the two blocks fronting the Sheraton between the I35 service road and Red River. I would really like to see as much of the green space along the creek saved as might be possible. I hate to see Red River become a strictly local thoroughfare in the vicinity of the this new complex. Finally, I hope we can have a civilized discussion about this situation. I thought the previous poster's comments to you were unnecessarily hostile.
Thank you and I appreciate your post. I do know that I get my feathers up when it comes to UT. I have either been a student there, taught their or lived by UT my entire tenure in Austin. (It's a love/hate relationship!... full disclousure). It happens, I guess ,when you have long witnessed their insensitivity to anything not UT. They are famous for not responding to the community and physically ( by that I mean design) not connecting to the fabric of the city around them.

I do hope this is just a "first pass" and the city can have some success in the process. But note they are not only way down the proverbial road on this, but also they do not have to approah the leg on this one. That could mean even less public disclousure. I guess ultimately we'll wait and see ( well, I won't! LOL!. I've alread written a letter to UT... and am prompting Architecture professors to make noise... of course the last time that happened the Dean of the School of Architecture "Resigned"!)

Oh....and "office park medical complex" describes what is on paper at this time accurately.

Thanks for your discourse.