View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:34 PM

Arrow Austin | South Austin Projects

Curious what others see happening in '45 in the next several years. (Full disclosure: that's where I live now and the previous house was in '45 too.)

I've always been surprised it's seen so little redevelopment and gentrification. I guess on some level, part of that is that it's so huge it's hard to make generalizations. But Stassney is about as far from 6th and Congress as Highland Mall and even William Cannon is about the same as Crestview from 6th and Congress, yet those areas are treated as 'central' and '45 is the hinterlands...

But I've always thought South Congress would have shifted a bit, but it pretty much looks like it has for years. It does seem on average east of the RR tracks is a little more run down (though there are nice spots and less nice ones all across the zip code).

Also, I would have expected the northern part around Westgate and Manchaca to have gentrified more. There are a few new infill projects but not what I would have expected, especially as close at it is to 78704.

One thing I'd love to see is some of the old dying strip malls to be turned into walkable town centers. I can walk to a fair amount of stuff (and sometimes walk with the kids to Westgate Lanes) but it's mostly not stuff I have any desire or need to go to...

Anyway, just curious what others opinions are.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jul 12, 2017 at 9:27 PM.