View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 30, 2012, 1:51 AM

Here's a few treasures currently on eBay. In the source beneath each photo I'll link to the original eBay listing.

This photo taken by my Grandmother about 1915 in front of their store - "Hastings' Place" at the corner of Vermont Avenue and Hollywood Blvd. at the eastern end of the Southern Pacific Red Car line. Every Sunday, the merchants of East Hollywood would gather at my Grandfather's store with their autos, and give visitors to the area a ride to Griffith Park for 10 cents each - see sign in windshields of autos. Good for business and commerce in the area.

[source: eBay] [Larger version of photo available here.]

This photo taken by my Grandmother or Grandfather about 1917 in front of their store - "Hastings' Place" at the corner of Vermont Avenue and Hollywood Blvd. at the eastern end of the Southern Pacific Red Car line.

[source: eBay]

This photo taken by my Grandmother or Grandfather about 1917 in front of their store - "Hastings' Place" at the corner of Vermont Avenue and Hollywood Blvd. at the eastern end of the Southern Pacific Red Car line.

And the photo I was most excited to see:

ca. 1931: Photo was taken on what is now Highway 14, the Sierra Highway, somewhere north of Red Rock Canyon and south of Little Lake. After the plank road ended in this area, the Midland Highway was a graded dirt road for the rest of this journey which conencted up with Highway 395 heading north into the Sierra Nevada and beyond.

The same seller has a few more fantastic photos up for grabs.

Last edited by Handsome Stranger; Jun 30, 2012 at 3:14 PM.