View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
hmmm, Just thinking of other university hospitals that I've seen, and this portion of land you refer to wouldn't hold one of these university/research hospital complexes very well, not unless UT plans are NOT grandiose and do not look out far into the future. I thought that land was being used for other development anyway? Or do I have it confused with something else there?
Just judging from what I've heard from my Level 2 source re: the board of regents, that was supposed to be the desired location. There may be other plans for residential/commercial development that I'm unaware of. And I'm not sure what you mean by 'holding' a university research hospital. If you're referring to the size of the tract, you do realize UT owns everything from the intersection at Red Bud Trail all the way east to Hearn St, right? I'm no surveyor but I'd wager that's in the ballpark of 100 acres. Seems more than sufficient. I don't know though; thoughts?

***Mulligan. I'm clearly underestimating the typical size of a prominent med school campus. Quick search on the internets revealed that UT Southwestern sits on about 230 acres. My bad. Maybe there is in fact another site in store. Either that, or density is the name of the game at Lake Austin and they are planning a couple of 60+ stories hospital towers to do the trick. (Hah!) I don't know. We'll see.