View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 15, 2011, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Devil's advocate:

1) It's built now. The city is responsible for people who live there.
2) People knew they'd live farther out but didn't necessarily sign up for antagonistic policies towards off-peninsula residents and commuters!
3) Expropriating a few houses (most of the land is empty and the widening was planned for -- we are not talking about destroying a neighbourhood) is not a big deal if people are properly compensated. I bet people would be in favour of it if they each got a cheque for $30k on top of their house value. The project would still be worth it with that added cost.
1/2) I'm not antagonistic towards off-peninsula residents -- I'm all for new commuter projects backed by a shred of sense: transportation options that take cars off the road rather than simply widening the roads, encouraging sprawl, and pushing the congestion issue ten more years into the future in the most inefficient way imaginable (and destroying neighbourhoods on top of that.) Of course, new suburban development should also be tightly managed to ensure we get the most out of whatever alternative would be built. I'd love to see proper BRT, with dedicated busways, serving suburban areas.

3) 90 properties will be affected, 3 large apartment buildings and many homes fully demolished, with the entire 102 corridor project costing in the realm of $300 million, (diagrams from corridor study)

Last edited by alps; Jul 15, 2011 at 4:29 AM.