View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 27, 2011, 10:12 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
It costs us $50 million a year for the monarchy, we pay more per person then Britain, I think the costs of having a referendum and an eleected Head of State would be much cheaper.
The UK doesn't have 11 vice-regals.

If we had a president and 10 provincial governors we'd probably be spending $100M a year on that part of the executive branch. It costs $300M to hold a national election. You want to do this twice? (Three times if we have an elected senate.) And then again for each of the provinces? And for what gain?

What republicans like you often forget is that if we abandon the monarchy, we still have to have someone in the role as head of state, and they'll still cost money.

I personally don't see any real benefits to counter the cost of a massive government restructuring project to replace the monarchy with a republic system. Other than "they live far away" and "we don't get to vote for them", what are the real problems with the monarchy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graupner View Post
Your mom actually loves you.
Are you saying the Queen and the Governor General don't love Québec?

Quote:
Your mom doesn't require you to spend millions on useless things like Governor and such.
If you didn't have a monarch and vice-regals, you'd be paying at least the same amount of money, but probably more, on an elected head of state.

Quote:
Your mom is not a relic of medieval times.
Lots of things are relics of medieval times. Of those that still exist, the monarchy is one of the more beneficial ones.

Quote:
Your mom doesn't run a declining and pretentious country.
The Queen doesn't "run" any countries, she is simply a symbol of authority and stability in 16 nations equally and since she has only one body, she lives in the country her ancestors have lived in for 1,000 years.

Quote:
Your mom probably knows about internet and facebook; the queen doesn't.
I'm quite sure the Queen is aware of the internet and Facebook, considering she had to give her permission to allow a personal Facebook page to be created. I don't think she uses it personally though.

Quote:
Speaking of the US, they ditched their ' mom' 300 years ago, and now they are 10 times more populous and powerful than us. Maybe ditching our ''' mom ''' would be a good idea ?!
The US is more populous because they started aggressive immigration campaigns long before we did. At this point, however, I would hardly point to the US government structure as an "efficient" system. If you think the monarchy is expensive, you should check out the bill for the executive branch of the US, and of each of its states. Not to mention how well it does (or rather, doesn't) work most of the time.