View Single Post
Old Posted May 22, 2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I love this little photo, but it's somewhat a mystery to me.

ebay

I recognize Bunker Hill in the background.
But I can't place this exact location in my mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Hmm, I don't know where that it either. I seem to recall an old photo I saw a while ago where there was an actual waiting station for the PE car, but I don't remember where I saw it and I don't remember where the station was actually located.

that is the fremont on the right at the corner of Olive and 4th. You can even see the rose mansion peeking out from behind.

the building in the center of the photo is the hotel trenton

that places the main attraction of this photo, the train station, between 4th street on the north and 5th street on the south, and that would be olive street on the west in the background, and hill street on the east in the foreground.......................................OMG! this is an early version of the Pacific Electric Subway Terminal Building!!!!!!!!

Image from; A Bit of Downtown History: Tour of the Subway Terminal Area - Tom Wetzel

the subway terminal building (which was constructed in 1925), outlined in red, is the exact location of the train station in the photo.

here is another photo taken from a higher elevation

California State Library

the building between the trenton and the fremont is the Olive Street School. Th train station is visible at the lower left across from the fremont

great photo ethereal_reality..........simply great!

Last edited by gsjansen; May 22, 2010 at 12:54 PM.