View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 7:18 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwadswor View Post
Shade trees are good, but how many desert trees are good shade trees? I'll be the "some rube:" there are better uses for our limited water than 2 million non-native trees.
Who said anything about non native? I didnt I am a member at the Desert Botanical Garden and think the plant life of the Sonoran Desert is amazingly beauitful, Id want to plant primarily native or other drought tolerant plants.

Im the one who always bitches about the lack of Saguaros downtown and the way Phoenix doesn't embrace its physical location and tries to look like Cincinnati too often. I hate the far flung suburbs but one thing areas like Desert Ridge do well is have nice densely planted xeriscaped medians and sidewalks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwadswor View Post
Oh, and transpiration involves two parts. It cools the air temperature, yes, but it also, by definition, raises the humidity levels around the tree. Slightly for one tree, but compounded over millions of trees and you could seriously jack the humidity in the valley, or at least the areas where they are densely planted. Not only are these trees going to guzzle water (the water for the transpiration has to come from somewhere... desert trees tend to have waxy leaves that limit transpiration), but they're going to be raising the humidity levels of the valley. I've lived in humid cities, and I can tell you that I will take a 120 degree day with 9% humidity any day over a 90 degree day with 100% humidity.
I woudlnt worry too much about that. Go to neighborhoods like Encanto or Arcadia in the summer, they're not much more humid. In fact their much cooler and while probably a bit more humid its an OK trade off.

Also about this whole idea keep in mind its spaced out over 40 years. Its not like theyd plant 2 million trees tomorrow, so Id hope we could do it smartly and plan it properly. Find plants that dont use too much water, provide shade and don't tear up sidewalks, it can't be that hard. Finally, Im perfectly willing to trade 50,000 (or whatever the equivalent in water terms would be) new residents for a shadier, cooler, more beautiful city.

Last edited by HooverDam; Nov 6, 2009 at 8:36 PM.