View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 9:30 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Wishing you guys luck for anyone on low ground. I may not be at risk for flooding personally but I'm with ya' in spirit.

In 97 we were so busy figuring out which road might still be passable for another half kilometer, and worrying about that half inch of rain that would have washed out Brunkild that I never had much of a chance to play observer until after the crest. Also with the Internet being still somewhat obscure, there wasn't the ability to stay up-to-the-minute other than CJOB and the like.

Those impressive sat photos of the Red Sea didn't really surface until weeks later - this time around it'd be neat (in a morbid sense) to have near realtime pictures like that. I flew over the city about 3 days after the crest and it was a very humbling sight.

Hopefully the Floodway improvements make this a non-issue for the city - I know a lot of very short-sighted and petty people fought tooth and nail against that, even though they'd already been proven wrong dozens of times. Good to see some sense finally prevailed because if I'm hearing right, and Fargo is seeing 41' already... it may just be needed already.
Hopefully the cities in North Dakota can get some stimulus money for completing more permanent flood protection, or even a make-work floodway for both cities. Seems like the US gov't isn't afraid to throw lots of money anywhere it can, and this could be a good time to do big capital projects....