View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 10:07 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
Oh please, with all the 100's of dining options downtown, who cares if tourists patron some of them, not so bad food and some great people watching nonetheless.
San Antonio's has more potential than most downtowns, can't wait to see it all come together.
Oh wow, a Whole Foods and a boring Safeway, I guess a grocery list, is urban and more exciting these days. I guess life would stop if one would have to drive a mile for a boxed chain, as if they could carry it all walking back from the corner or a few blocks.
I would say Musuems, world class cultural venues, great plazas and parks really shape and make a downtown. Downtown San Antonio doesn't have anymore chain grocery stores, since Handy Andy but has a few mom and pop groceries downtown. We do need a upscale large grocery store though. Hopefully we may see one in the River North area or Vistana.
Oh lord, what about the people who live downtown? They need grocery stores, period. Upscale boutique grocery stores are insufficient. Of course a grocery list is urban and more exciting-- unless you expect that everyone who lives downtown is fine with the mark-up of a smaller grocery store or upscale grocery store.

San Antonio's downtown is unfriendly to non-tourists, simple as that.