View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 23, 2008, 7:46 PM
World Machine

I did indeed respond to your question in one of my previous posts if you were paying attention. That answer I gave you is that I am not sure simply because they’ve not publicly distributed an official timetable for the renovation. However If I were to guess I would say it would take at least a year, but I’d expect it to take more. It is of course a big job for a big building.

Now after looking at the photos you posted I can see where you’re coming from, however the perception of the limestone color you are seeing is due to the positioning of the shot and the effects the sun has on that positioning. A very elementary common knowledge if you ask me. The color of anything will vary depending on the conditions from which you are looking at it, whether it is lighting, height, etc. That in no regards means that the surface has differed in any way but is just an optical illusion.

I too share your liking for Chrysler, Flatiron, and American Radiator as visually (in detail) superior to the Empire State Building. The ESB, while does possess its share of detail and charm, draws its icon status from height and seniority. Chrysler on the other hand is dressed head to toe in astonishing elegance and detail. Point is they’re two different building that draw their elegance from different ways.

As far as understanding goes, if I didn’t want to understand I wouldn’t waste my time in going back in forth with you on the matter. I think the point that you’re trying to make is justified through a common optical perception mistake. The ESB’s façade is simply going to look different when looking at it from Fifth Avenue as oppose to looking at it from the Southern end of the West Side Highway. Distance and conditions alter the optical perception of anything.

I also find your other assumptions rather humorous such as ‘don’t tell me you’ve been discussing the façade of the ESB many times.’ I really can decipher where you get off making that assumption, and judging by your own in regards to the ESB I would say you indeed haven’t.

And as far as what you studied is concerned, good for you. I don’t see what calls for you saying that, more so just a crude attempt to look for attention? However if you indeed studied what you say you did we shouldn’t be having this conversation now should we? No, I’d say not. Please don’t take any of this the wrong way, I rather enjoy debating this because I think it’s a common misperception.