View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick10801 View Post
I live in downtown New Rochelle- 1 diagonal block from New Roc. I have a few thoughts.
1.) The name alone, "New Roc", to me, and a lot of my neighbors, connotes a gangster hangout. This, unfortunately, is proving to be the case. Not only was there the "Easter" riot, but often police are called to break up fights. Parents will not allow their children to go there, supervised or not. This is hurting the downtown image even as we strive to grow it economically and socially.

2.) By introducing mid-level retail (Macy's?) we will service the residents newly moved in and planning on moving into the area vis-a-vis Trump and Avalon II. (I myself have to drive to Manhattan for underwear. Ladies I know have to do likewise for pantyhose.) So we are certainly lacking a legitimate and servicing retail sector in the area- not just downtown.

3.) Removing the impulsion to attract gangs or kids bent of the disruption of downtown city life will be accomplished by removing the arcade; but moreover, that space (and the other space from various other transition businesses at New Roc) will provide a center of retail for all of New Rochelle and surrounding communities. This will marry nicely with the requirements of the new residents, and boost downtown spendng in restaurants. I agree with Mr. Cappelli's assessment that the time to make that change is now- he knows it is necessary for his own good name and legacy.

Thanks,
Patrick
New Rochelle should stick with what works. If entertainment is making money and bringing business into downtown then they should stick with it. New Rochelle will never develop into a retail center with White Plains, Stamford and Yonkers around it… plus the city isn’t centrally located enough or a business center so the chances of any serious retail other than like a Target coming to New Rochelle is bleak.

And for the most part most of the new development in New Rochelle is geared towards attracting people who work in the city, but take the train home to New Rochelle so a lot of the people who own condos or apartments in downtown don’t even spend much time there and the northern part of the city never ventures into downtown and I remember reading a few months back that the rich area wanted to leave the city and form its own town or join Scarsdale.