View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 18, 2007, 4:57 AM
Everywhere all at once

Honestly, I think that it might be wiser just to move it somewhere else. Like I was thinking of Fan Pier, where the Institute of Contemporary Art (ICA) just opened its new gallery building. I read about the museum's new building in the March 2007 Architectural Record, and they discussed possibilities of massive new development in the Fan Pier area. I also know that is an area that Menino has expressed interest in as well.

Building a major office building in Boston's old core may wind up being more of a liability than people realize. When I was in Boston last October, the streets were extremely difficult to navigate because of the all the one ways, dead ends, etc. A new skyscraper, let alone an 80-story gargantuan, would add congestion, traffic, and less sunlight to the Financial Center's already narrow streets. Not to say that old Boston is not great, it is; but Fan Pier is open for development, literally.

It could easily serve as a new office core, as well as a residential neighborhood. It would expand the skyline in an even greater way than one building could, and it can open the door for more development. In a similar fashion to Portland's South Waterfront, it can be developed with wider streets, more parks and pedestrian space, including that spacious open plaza that Piano raves about.

And the best part: It's quite unlikely that the NIMBYs will be on the developers about this empty space, and they can keep the Rudolph building.

Old Boston is already beautiful. I think empty lots and parking lots are a little more in need of change than Boston's classic buildings.

It's just an idea....