View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Right, but "frigid water" is highly subjective.

Some people find 75 degree water to be refreshing.

Others find it too cold to tolerate for very long.

for reference, here's my personal water temperature swimming guide:

- 55 is full-blown nuts without a wetsuit, cold shock can actually stun you to death at this temp.

- 60 is still totally fucking cold. Wetsuit required for anything other than a quick jump in/jump out dip.

- 65 is doable for hardier individuals without a wetsuit for short spurts, but you will still need to get out periodically to prevent hypothermia.

- 70 is still pretty chilly, but you can warm up to it. Experience helps.

- 75 is nice and refreshing, a lovely temp for swimming on a hot summer day.

- 80 is bathwater.

- 85 is almost getting too warm, not very refreshing on a really hot summer day.

Source: a entire lifetime spent swimming in the great lakes
The water temperature is only 80 at Miami Beach today. Almost warm enough to go in but its still Spring so it has a long way to go. By the way, the coldest it gets in January is usually the around 70. The water temperature can go around 90 by the late summer. It still feels cooler than the air and cools you off. The Gulf side gets warmer.
On the other hand, the sea temps got up to and over 100 last year in the sheltered Florida Bay (North of the Keys, South of the Mainland). I didn't experience that water but I assume it would feel almost so warm that it would seem unsanitary for some reason.

For cold water, I somehow survived swimming in Wyoming mountain lakes as a child and it never bothered me back then.