View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 4:15 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

Nice set of photos, very interesting! All of your photos are interesting, but this recent post really caught my eye. I love music museums, too, I guess it's because I'm really into musical instruments.
This is the museum we went to: https://sigalmusicmuseum.org/

It's one of several cultural amenities all clumped together around a park called Heritage Green on the north side of downtown. The county art museum, children's museum, history museum, main county library, and the Greenville Theatre are all located there. The Sigal Museum is the only one in an historic building, an old Coca-Cola bottling plant that predates everything else on the site. Right now there is work and streetscaping underway to better and more pleasantly connect Heritage Green to the rest of downtown.

It's very "Greenville" that there would be an historic industrial building incorporated into the complex. Greenville is littered with historic industrial structures that have found new life as this, that, and the other. There are several right in the heart of downtown, even, including old textile mills, a cigar factory and a cigar warehouse, and a factory that made coaches and carriages.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947