View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 4:00 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Buenos Aires is in a very good shape right now. Droves of Brazilians are going there (my Instagram is full of pics lately) and some of my friends going recently said the city is very clean and well kept compared to their latest visit. And of course, the city is great. Vibrant, great nightlife, dense, lots of urban character.

I've never been in Buenos Aires (maybe I'll go in June, let's see) but I visited Montevideo back in 2016. A very beautiful city, there is this Parisian vibe on architeture, good density, but it's definitely a sleepy place. In fact, if one is thinking of visiting the region, please go to Montevideo first. If it's Buenos Aires first, Montevideo will definitely be very very underwhelming.
Yuri, maybe this is the reason Montevideo would seem "sleepy" compared to BA or SP?
name...........Metro Pop
Montevideo ~1.9M
Buenos Aires ~16.8M
Sao Paulo ~22M

A crazy difference in size. Like comparing Buffalo to Chicago, Toronto or even LA.
Even SP has an extra 5 million people to pull from over BA

I've always loved the fact that both BA and Montevideo each have one iconic 1920s looking building with really attractive, elegant architecture designed by Mario Palanti.
I also love the Kavanagh Building in BA

Wikipedia images

Palacio Barolo, Buenos Aires c.1923

Palacio Salvo, Montevideo c.1928

Montevideo and Uruguay have received good press. To me, and correct me if I'm wrong it seems as many countries in South America have had troubles/ups and downs the past decade or so, Uruguay keeps chugging along relatively unnoticed like a left leaning "sleeper country" that is much smaller than most in South America.
I recall popular American chef/food writer/travel host Anthony Bourdain traced his family lineage to Uruguay. Most of South America is on my bucket list.

Last edited by Wigs; Apr 9, 2024 at 4:18 PM.