View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 4, 2024, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
It's not only pedantic but it's just plain wrong. There are definitely differences in quality of life between different cities. The weather for starters, or the quality of urban amenities, the food, the culture etc.

If your point is simply that wealthier people enjoy a higher quality of life, then well yeah, that goes without saying...
But he was right as many things are subjective, including those factors you mentioned.

In fact, that's why we have so many different answers in this thread as each person has its own criteria of what constitutes quality of life, and what things they consider more or less important. And that applies not only for comparisons between different cities but between different neighbourhoods in a same city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
I've seen (and personally experienced) a lot of "interesting" things in that city over the many years that I've known it. Staying multiple months at a time is a great way experience a place. Staying in really cheap one-star hotels in sketchy neighborhoods increases the "interestingness." I'd say the most "interesting" time was mid-80s. Holy cow!
I definitely like some degree of chaotic urban quality. In fact, that's why I left my previous "perfect", too clean neighbourhood and moved Downtown, with the chaos, social class diversity, thousands of bars and dirty streets.

Clean streets are definitely an objectively good thing, but it's no way a dealbreaker for me.