View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
A few Canadian projects have been featured on The Local Project recently (a notable Australian architecture/design publication). Interestingly, all on the East Coast:

Video Link

Interesting to see inside this house, which is in my neighbourhood, right here. The architect is genuinely a huge asset to the local architecture community, and his house is indeed striking-yet-elegant. I've been a bit reticent about it as a piece of urban architecture since it was built, though, since it really does feel like it eschews the neighbourhood around it. This video makes that even more clear, with the focus on indirect light, and the few normal windows looking out to the private rear patio instead of to the street.

In fairness to the architect, the street it's located on is one of the least scenic in the entire neighbourhood, with a sort of grubby back street vibe. I probably wouldn't want to gaze out at it either from my living-room window. Still, that's the street he chose to build on (and the relentless pace of gentrification means the view is not likely to be so rough-around-the-edges forever).