View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 6:05 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I’m going to assume you never tried to launch a high-tech startup in Canada, you’d see things differently
if I invest in startups again it’ll have to be in the US)
As another graduate from the "school of hard knocks" I third what you an Tn say.

When I launched my startup, we secured $6M in angel pre-seed. 3 years later we had marketable product, sales and even meetings with possible purchasers. Unfortunately we couldn't secure any furthter VC money as they felt that if we couldn't make a viable business at that point, we were doomed.

Yes Canadian uni's had/have good programs and produce smart kids. Yes there are tech jobs in Canada, but to try and compare it the major US tech nodes is a bit of a stretch. We have a few unicorns and lots of great back office shops, but we really aren't seen as a major player (yet?)

In my experience working 3 decades in tech, the one thing that hasn't changed in Canada vice the US is the appetite for risk. Whether it's financial or technical, we're just not on the same level. And to really succeed in tech, risk is the be all, end all.

Do something about your future.