View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 3:35 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Hey, I’m a Smug InnerLooper (30+ years) who also spent years in both Sugar Land and Richmond. When speaking with fellow natives of the Swampland, if I say Houston, I mean Houston.
I tend to feel this way about the city proper, for the most part. Probably even more so about the latter two cities as I grew up in Fort Bend County.

A lot of the new people think they're moving to either and it turns out not to be the case pretty often in terms of the city itself. So many of the communities along the Grand Parkway or Westpark Tollway or FMs 359 or 723 are in those cities' respective zip codes but in someone else's ETJ entirely and in neither's city limits whatsoever.

Richmond hasn't done a lot of annexing to extend it's boundaries, but Sugar Land pretty famously did about 10 years ago and added about 30,000 people by taking in a few older subdivisions that were already fairly well associated with the city. They may do it again in the not too distant future.

Rosenberg has been doing it bit by bit over the past couple of decades in each direction, though the bulk of it has been south and west. The ETJ is pretty extensive, engulfing Beasley and extending to Kendleton's ETJ. The city limits actually wrap around parts of Beasley as well now. What a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by currysteph View Post
same difference.....I consider Houston to be from Conroe to Galveston and Brookshire to Mont Belvieu and New Caney to Roenberg

:-)
If you're talking about the metro - this is pretty much it. I'd add further south to Freeport and all the other cities in the Brazosport area. It's about 60k population which isn't bad. More are definitely on the way.

For the northwest point, that's getting to be a bit tricky IMO. Pretty much anything along 290 through Waller County up to Hempstead would work since that's starting to fill-in pretty quickly. Also Magnolia along the Aggieland Expressway... that's within 20 miles of Navasota and 45 miles to the south side of College Station at this point! Feels faster when you drive it, of course.

I'm interested in seeing how long Rosenberg is the southwestern point though. The amount of development that is coming to that part of Fort Bend County and even further southwest toward Kendleton & the San Bernard River/Wharton County line is insane.

The Southwest Freeway is a solid 6 lanes / feeders / HOV all the way from Rosenberg back into the city. It's 6 lanes pretty much uninterrupted just past Rosenberg and back toward Kendleton now.

Even in Wharton County, the 6-lane configuration is being built out in a couple of sections right now, both on the north and south sides of Wharton and southwest toward El Campo.

I kind of ran into the same surprise driving into town on I-45 last year. The area now feels like it STARTS at Huntsville. Sure, there are breaks in development, but with the interstate under construction along the way, it didn't feel like it. It definitely picks up back around New Waverly and Willis though.