View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 19, 2024, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
7) - I firmly believe that Moncton deserves a campus of UNB in the city. There is a constituency of over 100,000 anglophones in the metro area that are not being served by the provincial university. Crandall does not have adequate programs. Mount Allison is just a little too far away on treacherous winter roads. UdeM is entirely francophone and does not meet the needs of anglophone Monctonians. A junior campus of UNB is required, and, if located downtown, would give added vibrancy to the core as the students would frequent nearby coffee shops and cafes. There is enough developable land south of Main Street to locate a small campus.

I hope this little treatise will spark some conversation.

I most definitely agree with a major museum, and the pool you have mentioned to create a sporting complex around the Avenir.

As many others have pointed out, we need to get rid of the huge swaths of surface parking to allow the construction of more buildings. However, I still think at least one of the surface parking areas have to be converted into a multi-level paid parking structure (or even part of a mixed-use building) to accommodate people coming from outside our CMA. As more events, unique retailers, and other attraction accumulate in Moncton, we should expect some visitors to drive in and require parking.

I've also mentioned elsewhere in the fora before that I think we need more food retail in the core downtown. Hopefully the street level spaces of the slated towers help solve that problem. It would be nice to get a blend of high-end, local, and fast food or coffee chains to attract people of different social strata.

The housing and homelessness problem would need to be addressed of course to help make this successful. Businesses downtown are either locked, moving away, or closing early (CBC News, https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2300446787883).

I agree with a stronger UNB presence in the city. It seems rather amiss that the province's largest and fastest growing CMA doesn't have it save for the faculty of nursing downtown. On a very very personal note, I would want to see (at the very least) the UNB Nursing expand its facilities and presence as I aspire to take a nurse practitioner program in the near future without having to worry about going to Saint John or Fredericton. As our city continues to outpace the rest of the province, the need for an anglo higher education outside of the NBCC is only going to be more and more evident. I know NPs can't replace MDs, but at least until we can attract more family doctors, it may be prudent to expand NP programs in the city to support primary care in the community. It sounds really idealistic, but I really think if we can strengthen community and public health, we will help reduce the strain to our hospitals (which is another thing that would have to be supported as our city grows).

Anyway that's my , and it's quite obviously very health-centric as that is where I primarily work.