Thread: Manitoba Hydro
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Sio Silica had the very significant potential of poisoning the water supply for 100k + Manitobans, nevermind Minnesotans and North Dakotans on the same massive aquifer. This is a case of environmental assessments doing their job. If they can find a way that won't potentially ruin the environment, they can reapply.
Ya I was scared of Silica too. It's nasty stuff, but only airborne apparently. Any research I can find says silica in drinking water actually has no known health effects. It's inhaling is the deadly one. (And the open pit silica was just approved haha)

In the least, drinking water is less than 5% of household water use. So even one considers silica harmful, it can easily be filtered out with RO. I don't think these conversations occurred enough.

I get the 100k people risk. It's a big swath. But given the above reality, at least let a few isolated test holes occur to prove safety risk one way or another in a contained way.

A video of the extraction technique is here. Actual real world model, not animation. It looks pretty clean honestly.