View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 30, 2023, 4:41 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The bad: I was leaving my office the other day and two women approached me. They were coming from the Arizona Center across the street and appeared to be in town for a convention. They asked me if there was a "tourist area" nearby. I asked them to clarify what they were looking for and they said basically "restaurants, shops, anyplace they could walk around and find things to do." I had to tell them the Arizona Center was a dead zone and that they should walk to Roosevelt Row, CityScape, or Heritage Square.

From the perspective of someone staying in the Sheraton or the AC, the Arizona Center looks like a logical place to go. It must turn some hotel guests and convention attendees off to Phoenix when they discover the big development right by their hotel is nearly a ghost town.

The good (potentially): As I walked through the Arizona Center yesterday, I saw a bunch of people with blueprints and clipboards looking at the Hooter's space and chatting about its details. Maybe there's finally a plan to lease that space. The new owners have been gutting the empty restaurants to make them more appealing to tenants who might want a totally fresh look and fixtures. There is one new tenant: a place that serves different types of chocolate desserts.
Yea, that should honestly be an embarrassment for the City of Phoenix to have such a dead-zone by our largest downtown hotel. I'm surprised there hasn't been more push to change this. Good to see some activity though. I think a Zips would be a good fit there. Their midtown location has done well.