View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 7, 2023, 12:14 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post
Thanks for the concept design. I assume the circles are roundabouts?
Aww thanks. Yes circles in the photo are roundabouts.

Quote:
Outside of the Avalon, and maybe Corner Brook I'd say no, the TCH isn't considered freeway. The American definition of an Expressway fits the divided sections in Grand Falls and Deer Lake, with partial controlled access.
Hmm that's an interesting dividing line. I do notice that there are significantly fewer interchanges outside of Avalon Peninsula, the Grand Falls - Windsor - Bishop Falls band, and the Corner Brooke - Deer Lake band.

Even then, there are still odd balls like this: https://www.google.com/maps/@48.2528...!1e4?entry=ttu
I actually notice that N.L.-1 has a lot of instances of divided 4 lanes at interchanges.

Quote:
The services in Deer Lake have been there a long time, possibly dating back to when the TCH opened, and there was probably no thought given to traffic increases.
Yea drawing the divided freeway for that part definitely gave me a hard time.

Anyway, after 9 hours, I am finally done:
Pasadena - Pynn's Brook (I will admit, the service road was poorly thought out.)

Pynn's Brook - Little Harbour

Little Harbour - Saint Judes

Saint Judes - Deer Lake (You know that I was really hard pressed for space when I had to list out the ROW width for each facility like that. )

Within Deer Lake (Apparently, it's fine to put a divided freeway in front of a dam, like here: https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4199...!1e4?entry=ttu)

I really need to take a break from highway design, 18.7 km later...
Ps: I'm using bilingual labelling only because it's the TCH.
Ps2: I've designed the twinning with the assumption that the train might be re-instated one day, no matter how likely.
Ps3: I am bad at drawing loop ramps.