SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   One Project That Could Transform Your City... (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132205)

GreatTallNorth2 May 30, 2007 2:23 PM

One Project That Could Transform Your City...

If you could magically make one project happen in your city, that you think could transform your city, what would it be?

It could be anything from a transportation project, sports facility, tourism or anything.

caltrane74 May 30, 2007 2:25 PM

Eglinton Subway and Scarborough Light Rail Network.

M.K. May 30, 2007 2:29 PM

I would bring
1) the ocean coast with warm turmaline waters with waves to my city, instead of having just country side.In addtion all yacht port area should be together.
2) The weather should change having 25-35C all year.

Coldrsx May 30, 2007 2:48 PM

Edmonton:

1.new tallest tower
2.new bridge to downtown
3.new downtown Oiler rink
4.WLRT (west Light rapid transit) to West Edmonton Mall

5.a marketing campaign that actually shows how amazing this city really is

Cambridgite May 30, 2007 3:24 PM

Hmm, light rail transit. :cool:
http://transitea.region.waterloo.on.ca/

vid May 30, 2007 3:44 PM

Bus Rapid Transit between Fort William, Port Arthur, Intercity, the University/Hospital Centre, the College, and the Airport.

-or-

Some magical transfusion of money that completely revitalizes Fort William's downtown core into a cleaner, safer, people friendly area. My vision involves some new towers in the 8 to 14 storey range, better connection to the river front, and turning most of the old warehouses along Hardisty and Simpson into lofts.

swilley May 30, 2007 4:01 PM

New downtown arena for a new AHL team.

Calgarian May 30, 2007 4:08 PM

a 1000' bow tower!

Bassic Lab May 30, 2007 5:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyc (Post 2867102)
a 1000' bow tower!

It would be nice but it wouldn't really transform much beyond that block.

I'd go with completion of the primary C-train network except with the north line being routed under Centre Street as a subway (really a continuation of the SE line) instead of following Deerfoot. That would really transform the city, connecting much more of the city together and allowing for a great deal of TOD opportunities.

Of course that might count as more than one project, so there is something I'd like to see on a smaller scale, that while not really transforming the city would atleast transform a neighborhood. That would be the moving ACAD to the former Molson Brewery site with dorms biult over student galleries (and other services) along 9th ave. It would solve the issue of finally providing ACAD with its own space, really make Inglewood alive, and fill the brutal holes in 9th aves street scape. I already mentioned this idea, I think it was in the last thread we had about choosing one thing to change your city.

Now if I really wanted to stretch the parameters of what could be considered one project I'd totally transform the Highfield/Manchester industrial lands. It would include space for a new University centering on the liberal arts, preferably towards the north end just east of Blackfoot. There would be a new, mostly elevated, Train line running through the area mostly along the Blackfoot ROW, with the line continueing east along 17th ave to the city limits and west to Mount Royal College (hopefully including a stop near Marda Loop along the way). There would be a cultural district for the arts, with subsidized housing for artists along with numerous venues (including a much needed mid size venue for concerts), located just south of Inglewood to tie in with the arts benefits of ACAD. The rest would be rezoned for mixed use and mixed income communities. Original biuldings would be preserves where applicable (there is the odd worthwhile biulding, a couple brick warehouses and such, within the area).

WHISTLERINMUSKOKA May 30, 2007 5:18 PM

Getting rid of the Gardiner and finally finishing our waterfront.

caltrane74 May 30, 2007 5:20 PM

cool picture whistler.

Hali_user May 30, 2007 5:31 PM

For Halifax, I would like to see Citadel Hill removed. That would fix all of our problems. No more worries over view plains anymore.

keninhalifax May 30, 2007 7:18 PM

Ottawa could most definitely benefit from a comprehensive electric LRT system that runs on an exclusive right-of-way. Please someone tell this to our mayor.

1ajs May 30, 2007 7:24 PM

Well winnipeg hmm how about a LRT line subway or a skytrain.... network......

aastra May 30, 2007 8:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHISTLERINMUSKOKA (Post 2867275)
Getting rid of the Gardiner and finally finishing our waterfront.

That reminds me, a former mayor of Victoria has singled out Toronto a couple of times because (he claims) the waterfront there used to be wonderful but new development has recently ruined it.

What's the real story? I know nothing about Toronto but I'm betting the waterfront in question was actually underdeveloped former industrial property and now it's residential? Probably very nice residential?

trueviking May 31, 2007 1:05 AM

not 'could', but 'will' transform winnipeg...

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1010/hr24yi.jpg

an LRT system would do a number as well.

and bringing the jets back.

Tony May 31, 2007 1:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aastra (Post 2867798)
That reminds me, a former mayor of Victoria has singled out Toronto a couple of times because (he claims) the waterfront there used to be wonderful but new development has recently ruined it.

What's the real story? I know nothing about Toronto but I'm betting the waterfront in question was actually underdeveloped former industrial property and now it's residential? Probably very nice residential?

Sounds like a certain mayor doesn't know shit. Toronto's waterfront used to be a giant rail-yard and parking lots.

SteelTown May 31, 2007 1:23 AM

For Hamilton

Short term: transform Jackson Square, modernize, update and break the place into pieces with maybe residential units

Long term: LRT along the Beeline route

jeffwhit May 31, 2007 1:31 AM

For Calgary:

Most likely the Remington project combined with East Village. Remington is the land east of the core between the east village and Stampede grounds... it's gigantic, and currently nothing is on it. (former rail yard) The land owner is releasing development plans shortly. It is probably the single most important project happening in Calgary any time soon.

Here's a link to a google map of the area, Remington is purple, east village in orange

MonkeyRonin May 31, 2007 1:43 AM

:previous: 20 bucks says Calgary is next in line for a Cityplace.

But what about those 4 huge lots to the northwest of the CBD, whats planned for there? Looks like it could be prime real estate.