SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Antonio (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=447)
-   -   GOing to San Sntonio for New Years. What to Do? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194397)

diskojoe Oct 7, 2011 2:47 PM

Going to San Antonio for New Years. What to Do?

Seriously, what is there to do? I havent been in like 20 years. Someone give me some ideas for grub and cool places to go shoot pictures.

miaht82 Oct 7, 2011 3:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diskojoe (Post 5436719)
Seriously, what is there to do? I havent been in like 20 years. Someone give me some ideas for grub and cool places to go shoot pictures.

Let's see:
For bringing in the New Year, Alamo St. is closed off by Hemisfair Park. You can check out the fireworks there and its one of the few times that you can grab a beer on street-level (and not get ticketed.) It's no Times Square, but you can bar hop for a while DT until just before midnight and work your way over there.
Don't eat on the Riverwalk, unless you absolutely want/have to, but you can find better places in Southtown (Rosario's, The Monterey, etc.) or north of DT.
Places to shoot pictures? Depends on what you want to shoot.

diskojoe Oct 7, 2011 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miaht82 (Post 5436731)
Let's see:
For bringing in the New Year, Alamo St. is closed off by Hemisfair Park. You can check out the fireworks there and its one of the few times that you can grab a beer on street-level (and not get ticketed.) It's no Times Square, but you can bar hop for a while DT until just before midnight and work your way over there.
Don't eat on the Riverwalk, unless you absolutely want/have to, but you can find better places in Southtown (Rosario's, The Monterey, etc.) or north of DT.
Places to shoot pictures? Depends on what you want to shoot.

Drinking beer on the streets sounds good. Looking for good but affordable food. So any suggestions about good places is definitely appreciated. Im open to all kinds of food. As far as photos, I like to shoot pictures of people. So where would the people be at? Where my hipsters at? Typically hipsters and good food can be found close together. Click the flickr link and you'll get an idea of what i like to shoot.

Where are some BAD ASS tacos?!?!?!? Im from spring branch so not afraid of carts either.

diskojoe Oct 7, 2011 4:05 PM

Rosario's sounds nice. The monterey looks good too but alot more expensive for the basic kind of grub they are serving.

miaht82 Oct 7, 2011 8:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diskojoe (Post 5436779)
Drinking beer on the streets sounds good. Looking for good but affordable food. So any suggestions about good places is definitely appreciated. Im open to all kinds of food. As far as photos, I like to shoot pictures of people. So where would the people be at? Where my hipsters at? Typically hipsters and good food can be found close together. Click the flickr link and you'll get an idea of what i like to shoot.

Where are some BAD ASS tacos?!?!?!? Im from spring branch so not afraid of carts either.

Well in the same area as Rosario's, you can work your way down the street and check out The Friendly Spot, Liberty Bar, Blue Star BC, and there is also Taco Haven on Presa. north of DT you have Timbo's, La Gloria..... there are more, just can't think off them now.
There are plenty of crowds in/around DT over the holidays, lots of good places to people watch.
Hipsters? Maybe you can spot a couple for us....

Nice pics.

The ATX Oct 7, 2011 8:26 PM

Quote:

If you want crowds and don't mind all things touristy you can't beat the Alamo and River Walk. There are plenty of good restaurants on the River Walk if you don't mind the tourists. Why are you interested in hipsters? Just drive up to Austin if you want that.

Boquillas Oct 8, 2011 2:42 AM

Sorry, but the tourists aren't what make the riverwalk restaurants bad. It's the food. Unless you leave the horseshoe-- then there's Acenar, Luke, La Gloria (way far) etc. But seriously, steer clear of the Riverwalk restaurants. The surface restaurants are all better.

Badass tacos?

You want La Tuna (the kitchen will be reopened by November after burning down last week), or Rosario's. Nobody's mentioned Tito's, but it's freakin' great, too, and also in Southtown. Also, Freddy's on South Flores is good.

And I agree with miaht82, the Monterey is awesome, though on New Year's I expect it to be crazy. Hell, all of those places with feel like Calcutta on NYE.

texastarkus Oct 8, 2011 4:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hill Country (Post 5437104)
If you want crowds and don't mind all things touristy you can't beat the Alamo and River Walk. There are plenty of good restaurants on the River Walk if you don't mind the tourists. Why are you interested in hipsters? Just drive up to Austin if you want that.

I agree...Austin would be a lot more fun. I'm heading there this weekend.:banana:

The ATX Oct 8, 2011 1:00 PM

I completely disagree about the Riverwalk restaurants. Just because it's a tourist hang out doesn't make the restaurants bad. The County Line, Rainforest Cafe, Hard Rock Cafe, etc. are still good restaurants.

SAguy Oct 8, 2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texastarkus (Post 5437584)
I agree...Austin would be a lot more fun. I'm heading there this weekend.:banana:

You think? SA has largest New Year's Party in Texas...250,000 people pack downtown SA last year. :notacrook:

http://www.saparksfoundation.org/celebrate_sa.html

adtobias Oct 9, 2011 7:01 AM

Yum. Rosarios makes a gooooood margaritas

sirkingwilliam Oct 9, 2011 8:21 AM

Join the nearly 300,000 people partying at Celebrate San Antonio downtown.

It's a blast, but very crowded. Chill in Southtown then just before 12:00, head to Hemisfair Park.

diskojoe Oct 10, 2011 8:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boquillas (Post 5437484)
Sorry, but the tourists aren't what make the riverwalk restaurants bad. It's the food. Unless you leave the horseshoe-- then there's Acenar, Luke, La Gloria (way far) etc. But seriously, steer clear of the Riverwalk restaurants. The surface restaurants are all better.

Badass tacos?

You want La Tuna (the kitchen will be reopened by November after burning down last week), or Rosario's. Nobody's mentioned Tito's, but it's freakin' great, too, and also in Southtown. Also, Freddy's on South Flores is good.

And I agree with miaht82, the Monterey is awesome, though on New Year's I expect it to be crazy. Hell, all of those places with feel like Calcutta on NYE.

Yeah I heard about the food on the boardwalk. I will not be eating there. But some other great suggestions here. I will probably end up taking some photos on the riverwalk but I want something more off the beaten path.

diskojoe Oct 10, 2011 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texastarkus (Post 5437584)

I could get a nicer hotel for new years in SA then in ATX.

We'll be staying here.....

Grand Hyatt San Antonio

If I'm lucky we will be staying in a penthouse.

diskojoe Oct 10, 2011 8:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adtobias (Post 5438448)
yum. Rosarios makes a gooooood margaritas

win!!!!!!!!!!!

diskojoe Oct 10, 2011 8:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hill Country (Post 5437777)
I completely disagree about the Riverwalk restaurants. Just because it's a tourist hang out doesn't make the restaurants bad. The County Line, Rainforest Cafe, Hard Rock Cafe, etc. are still good restaurants.

You lost me at rainforest. If I see one god damn animatronic monkey on my trip I think I'll kill someone.

diskojoe Oct 10, 2011 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hill Country (Post 5437104)

Quote:

Where my hipsters at? Typically hipsters and good food can be found close together.

And every town has funky eclectic people in the know. These people will flock to the cool remnants of any decent town. They do not necessarily have to be hipsters. Artists, musicians, weird people. Where they at?

Boquillas Oct 10, 2011 9:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diskojoe (Post 5439786)
Artists, musicians, weird people. Where they at?

Southtown.

miaht82 Oct 10, 2011 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boquillas (Post 5439806)
Southtown.

I 2nd that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diskojoe (Post 5439777)
I could get a nicer hotel for new years in SA then in ATX.

We'll be staying here.....

Grand Hyatt San Antonio

If I'm lucky we will be staying in a penthouse.

If you're staying there, its just a short hike to Southtown.

diskojoe Oct 11, 2011 2:24 PM

cool, yeah southtown looks like a winner. Especially since its within walking distance. Want to keep things walkable.